When it comes to software development, testing is often the “final boss” for developers. But with so many automation testing tools in the market, how to find the best one? Well, this is simple go for the one which is widely famous among developers and other tech community. Better trust us and go for Puppeteer testing. Don’t believe our suggestion? Read this article, and you’ll be convinced by the end.
Puppeteer is an open-source testing tool. Initially, in 2017, it was designed to automate developers’ workflows. But after its massive popularity in the tech community, a new version was updated right after one year. 2018 Puppeteer gained new capabilities, such as PDF generation and screenshot-clicking power. The addition of these features made Puppeteer an even more valuable tool for tech professionals.
Enough of the overview. Now let’s dig deeper into puppeteer testing.
What is Puppeteer Testing?
Puppeteer allows developers to create scripts that emulate user interactions with web pages or applications, allowing for a greater level of accuracy and reliability when testing and debugging. Chrome and Chromium are two of the most widely used browsers on the internet. With Puppeteer, you can use it to automate tests and detect errors in your websites or applications.
Puppeteer can automate everything in the browser with its high-level API. This includes controlling elements like windows, tabs, and even page content. There are many purposes for using Puppeteers, including scraping the web, automating tasks, and testing software.
Web scraping is a process where you extract data from websites. Automation is the use of scripts or programs to perform tasks automatically. Testing is the use of software to check whether a system or program behaves as expected.
How Does Puppeteer Work?
Puppeteer works by intercepting all network requests made by Chrome. It then translates these requests into commands that can be executed on the underlying web engine. This allows interaction with Chrome similarly as with a native application.
Feature List Of Puppeteer
Here are some features that makes Puppeteer popular among developers.
2. Drag & Drop: You can drag and drop elements inside Chrome using Puppeteer. This lets you quickly move windows around and perform other common tasks.
3. Screenshots: Puppeteer is capable of taking screenshots while testing; you can capture important visual information that can be helpful when debugging the application.
4. Platform-Agnostic: Puppeteer supports both desktop and mobile platforms; developers can use it to test their applications on different devices without having to code separately for each platform. This allows them to catch errors early in the development process and make necessary changes before they become too costly to fix later on.
Overall, Puppeteer is a versatile tool that can be used for a variety of tasks. If you are seeking for a way to upsurge your productivity or test your web applications quickly and easily, look into using Puppeteer.
Why Choose Puppeteer Over Other Platforms?
Many testing platforms for web scraping and automation are available today, and Puppeteer is one of them. Some of the other popular options include Selenium, PhantomJS, and BrowserStack, and the list is still on. Each of these platforms has its own strengths and weaknesses.
1. Selenium: This is a powerful open-source platform for web testing. It supports a wide range of browsers, can be used to automate tests across multiple platforms and has a large community of users.
2. HTTPie: HTTPie is a command-line tool that allows you to interact with web servers. This can be convenient if you want to make sure your code is working properly when connecting to a remote server. HTTPie can be used to test different aspects of your code, such as whether it is correctly receiving data from the server or if it is sending data correctly. It also allows you to perform common tasks such as logging into a web server or accessing files on the server.
3. Wget: This tool is used to download files from websites. It can be used to retrieve content from both local and remote websites. Wget has many features that make it a popular tool among developers. For example, it can be used to download files in multiple formats, including text, binary, and compressed files. Additionally, Wget can be used to retrieve files from multiple URLs at once.
4. PhantomJS: PhantomJS is a widely used open-source testing tool that runs on lower-powered devices. Because PhantomJS is so lightweight, it can be run from the command line or as a standalone web application. This makes it ideal for testing on devices that don’t have the resources to run more heavyweight testing tools. Additionally, PhantomJS is known for its low overhead, making it a good choice for testing on slower networks.
5. BrowserStack: It offers a variety of options for pricing and hardware requirements. One of the features of BrowserStack that makes it unique is its ability to emulate different browsers on different platforms. Another great feature of BrowserStack is its ability to simulate user interactions. This allows you to test how your website or application responds when users interact with it in different ways.
Puppeteer has been favored above all for easy integration with web browsers, allowing developers to test web applications without leaving the development environment. Additionally, Puppeteer has lower latency than other testing platforms, making it an excellent choice for testing real-time applications.
Finally, Puppeteer is highly scalable, allowing you to run large-scale tests with minimal impact on your development process.
Ultimately, the best choice for your specific needs will still depend on your skills and preferences. If you are new to web scraping or automation, start with one of the simpler platforms like Puppeteer. If you have more experience or are comfortable working with more advanced tools, consider using one of the more specialized platforms like PhantomJS or BrowserStack.
How To Set Up Puppeteer?
Run this command to install Puppeteer: [npm install puppeteer]
Once Puppeteer has been installed, you can use it to create digital puppets. To start creating a puppet, you first need to create a puppet definition file. This file contains information about the puppet, including its dimensions and animation properties.
You can then use the puppeteer command to create the puppet and launch the animation sequence. To stop the animation, you can use the puppeteer stop command. You can also use Puppeteer to interact with 3D scenes created in other programs. Alternatively, you can also use Puppeteer to create custom user interfaces for web applications.
Puppeteer For Web Scraping Purposes
Puppeteer is a fantastic tool for scraping the web. By automating a web browser, we are able to see what users see on the web. This means that the scraper can scrape content accurately without having to rely on server-side scripts or other third-party tools.
Additionally, browser-based scrapers are faster and more efficient than traditional scraping methods because they do not require a lot of overhead, such as downloading and parsing pages. Finally, browser-based scrapers let you directly interact with the web page, meaning you can explore different parts of the page more easily.
If you’re looking for a way to automate your web scraping process, puppeteer is an excellent option. By using puppeteer, you can create scripts that run in your browser to extract data from websites. This makes it easy to get started with web scraping and avoids some of the other stimulating aspects of this task.
Puppeteer runs in the same process as the user’s browser; it has access to all of the user’s cookies and other data. This makes it possible to gather information such as login credentials, shopping cart data, and more. Finally, because Puppeteer is run in a web browser, there is no need to install or create any additional tools or scripts.
Puppeteer For Automation Purposes
Puppeteer is used for numerous automation projects. Its capabilities include video editing, data entry, and image processing. Puppeteer can also be used for tasks that require human interaction, such as controlling software bots or even humanoids.
One of the most popular uses for Puppeteer is video editing. It can be used to create and edit videos without having to use any dedicated video editing tools. Puppeteer can also be used to create interactive videos, which allows viewers to control the video playback by using gestures or voice commands.
Puppeteer also serves data entry needs by automating tedious tasks, such as filling in forms or entering data into databases. Finally, Puppeteer can also be used for image processing. It creates images that are reminiscent of those produced by expensive photographic software packages.
Puppeteer For Web Application Testing Purposes
Puppeteer is used for testing websites in numerous ways. Here are four ways in which a puppeteer can be used for web application testing purposes:
1. Testing Page Navigation: This can be done by navigating the user through the site, clicking on links and buttons, and checking the results in a browser window.
2. Testing Page Content: This can be done by copying and pasting content into the puppeteer, filling out forms, and clicking on buttons to see how it affects the page. It can be used to test how different types of content interact with each other.
3. Testing Page Interactions: A puppeteer can be used to test how different types of interactions affect pages on a website. This could include testing how spinning wheels work, how flash works, and how Ajax works.
4. Automating Browser Behavior: A puppeteer can also be used to automate browser behavior. This could include setting up tests so that certain browsers or devices are automatically tried when visiting a website or simulating user behavior in order to see what effects it has on the website.
By using puppeteer, you can ensure that your website is functioning properly and that the user experience is optimal.
In an effort to streamline processes and reduce the number of manual tasks, many technical businesses are turning to automated testing tools. These tools help identify issues early in the development cycle, saving companies time and money down the line. Whether you are a novice or an established organization, in the IT field, it’s worth considering whether automation can help improve your workflow.
The LambdaTest cloud grid for Puppeteer allows for scaled Puppeteer testing. You can automate cross-browser testing in LambdaTest using a browser farm of 40+ browsers and operating systems to speed up test execution. It also improves the quality of the product because it increases test coverage.
LambdaTest is a fast, reliable, scalable, and secure test execution and orchestration platform. With 3000+ browsers, operating systems, and real devices combinations, users can perform end-to-end testing of websites and mobile apps both manually and automatically. Any organization can benefit from LambdaTest by ensuring quicker developer feedback and hence achieving faster go-to-market. The LambdaTest family has over 500 clients and over 1 million users spread across 130 countries.