Alcohol consumption among college students has been a very major and common factor for increasing rates of college dropouts and falling academic performances of the students. Excessive alcohol consumption by college students may lead to many dangers like :
- College dropout rates and low academic performace is one the major reasons for alcohol consumption by college students.
- Uncontrolled alcohol consumption lowers the GPAs.
- Student who consume alcohol while studying have an increasing chance of missing the class next day thus affecting the academics.
- College students usually consume frequent and large amout of alcoholic drinks under peer pressure or just to escape the problematic reality, or to ignore the unresolved problems, because of getting lower grades, on the events of a bad day. Students should remember that alcohol consumption is just a temporary and very unsafe option to run awayfrom responsibilities at the tender age.
There are a few students who are non-drinkers too. The people who do not consume alcohol are called non-drinkers. A non-drinker practices “Teetotalism”. Teetotalism is the practice or promotion of total self-restraint from alcoholic beverages. This practice is totally self abstinent. A person who practices teetotalism is called a teetotaler or teetotal. Reasons for being a non-drinking college student can be :
- Few students do not consume alcohol due to religious beliefs.
- Few students do not consume alcohol due to psychological reasons.
- Few students do not consume alcohol due to health conditions.
- Few students do not consume alcohol as they want to focus only on studies and refrain themselves from being distracted by any kind of habits, negative influences and possible distractions.
- Few students do not consume alcohol due to familial pressure, as students are not allowed to consume alcohol during their age of studying in many households.
- Few students do not consume alcohol as it is their personal choice.
- Few students do not consume alcohol due to phylisophical or cultural beliefs.
- Few students do not consume alcohol as they believe in existence of god and practice “Thiestism”.
Now, coming to the main question of the article, ” What number of college students are nondrinkers? “; the answer to that question is still vague and not many confirmed numbers have been published because every year there are new recruitments and all students have different beliefs about alcohol consumption. so there is no definite number of college students who are non-drinkers, but according to many research and observations, experts have given a very tentative ratio of drinkers and non-drinkers which is 75:25 out of 100 students. That roughly sums up to 75% of college students are drinkers and 25 % of college students are non-drinkers approximately. These numbers are nowhere to be confirmed as these are just observational and vaguely guessed approximations.
Consequences of abusive alcohol consumption by college students :
Each year approximately 1500-2000 college students between the age of 18 years to 24 years die due to drink and drive scenarios, unintentional injuries after alcohol consumption, or health issues after overconsumption of alcohol at a young age.
- Assault and Injuries
Each year approximately half of the students who have taken admission in colleges report facing physical and mental abuse and such behavior by drinkers and also are a part of unintentional injuries without any fault. Overall, such situations lead to academically weaker performances of students during the semesters.
- Academic Issues
Non-drinkers have to face the consequences of drinkers as they also become a part of such unwanted activities unintentionally and thus it affects the academic performances of both drinkers and non-drinkers. Drinkers usually miss classes, lag behind in studies, perform poorly on tests and exams, receive lower grades ultimately leading to more stress and more alcohol consumption as students believe that alcohol consumption may reduce stress, but it is not so. They have such vague beliefs due to their tender age and negative influences around them.
Wrong notions among students regarding alcohol consumption:
Alcohol consumption is all hyped by the college students as it is considered a social camaraderie for social motivation to consume alcohol and also a fun activity by most of the consumers as they believe it makes them cool and helps in forgetting about their problems. Alcohol does not solve any problems. In fact, it is a mini escape that is just temporary from facing the realities of life.
Sometimes non-drinkers are also forced to consume alcohol by their peers. The students are mocked, abused, and also considered uncool by fellow student drinkers. Sometimes ragging also takes place outside college campuses, and the drinkers’ force non-drinkers to consume some amount of alcohol. Such abusive behavior and peer pressure leave no choice for non-drinkers but to drink. Strong-headed and reluctant students can only make out safe of this situation without consuming alcohol. It is a temporary pleasure for some time but it is disadvantageous in many ways.
Disadvantages of alcohol consumption for college students are as below :
- A college student may not be able to follow the routine the same way the next day as the after effects of the alcohol may still be lingering around.
- Tonnes of pending work load.
- Financial instability.
- Health issues and medical emergencies.
Advantages for the non-drinker college students are as below :
- Good health and a healthy life style.
- Financial stability as money is not wasted on unwanted expenses like alcohol at the college going age.
- Good academic performance and good grades.
- Finished assignments and complete college work on time.
To spread awareness and address this alcohol consumption issue among college students few steps can be taken into consideration :
- Explaining risk of alcohol consumption.
- Providing alcohol education.
- Limiting alcohol availabilty around the college campuses or creating a totally alcohol free campus.
- Enforcing punishments and laws regarding alcohol consumptions.